If you own or have recently started the process of buying your own metal barn, then you will know the wide range of benefits that it has to offer. From providing you with a space for work purposes such as agricultural storage or a workshop to offering a recreational solution such as a hobby center or guesthouse, metal barns are incredibly versatile.
There are a number of different prefab metal barns to choose from, including lean-to designs, A-frames, and even barndominiums! Whichever design works best for you will provide you with the additional space you need and increase the value of your land. However, when you outgrow your current barn system, you may think that you need to start from scratch to get access to a bigger space.
Rather than tearing down what you already have, why not consider extending your metal barn to accommodate all of your additional requirements?
When You Should Consider an Extension for Your Metal Barn Kits
Adding additional space by extending prefab metal barns is not uncommon, with many people opting to customize their current system with more space to utilize. However, knowing when to consider an extension may not be as simple as you first thought, especially if you are worried about metal barn prices or whether you are ready for more space.
Here are some of the most common reasons that people choose to extend their metal barns kits:
- Wanting to create a commercial space that can fit all the required employees without feeling overcrowded.
- Needing to add additional storage space to the barn for stock, feed, or even machinery.
- Expanding your business premises or needing greater levels of office space to run your business from.
- Creating a guest house or annex for family members or as a side business for tourists.
- And many more!
Key Considerations Before You Extend Your Metal Barn
Once you have decided that you are ready to extend your metal barn, there are a number of considerations that you will need to work out before you can proceed. To help you prepare for your extension, we’ve shared the most important considerations to get you started:
- Metal Barn Prices – Extending your metal barn will come with a significant cost implication, and it is vital that you work out what your budget is before you commit to an extension pack. Taking the time to decide on a figure that you are happy to pay will help you find an extension that fits your needs and your budget.
- Extension Design – Knowing you need more space is one thing, but before you can proceed, you will need to decide on the ideal design for the new addition to your barn. You may just need a small lean-to added for storage, or you may want to add a large office space. Take the time to decide on the design first, and then find a company that can provide you with what you need.
- Check Your Current Metal Barn – Before you can start building an extension, you will need to assess your current metal barn to determine if it is in good enough condition to be extended. Metal buildings are renowned for lasting many years after being built but there may be some maintenance needs that you need to complete before the extension work can begin.
- Know the Building Codes – Each area has its own set of building codes and regulations, of which you should be up to speed if you built your current barn in recent years. Before you begin any type of building work, you will need to check that your extension meets building code regulations and that you have achieved any permissions you need to be able to get to work.
- Pick Out the Best Location – You may think that an extension will work on any part of your current metal barn, but the location is important to think about before you start work. Consider where the sun comes up and whether you will be blocking the light or access to the rest of the barn from your chosen area before you begin the extension work.
- Check Your Land – Finally, before you build your extension, make sure that you have enough land to build on and that your extension will not encroach on your neighbors’ properties. You can check this by looking at the deeds of your land. You will also need to leave enough space around the outside of the extension to get access to the whole barn to make ongoing maintenance easy and hassle-free.
Knowing How to Extend Your Metal Barn
With everything in place, you will be ready to design and order your new extension, ready for installation. Take a look at the different ways you can extend your barn so that you get the best results for your needs:
- Extending the Width – you can choose to add your extension to the side of your current barn, extending the overall width. This is a pretty straightforward extension to design and offers you a large floor space to work with.
- Extending the Length – many people choose to extend their metal barns by adding on to the length of the current barn, especially when you have a model that is not closed off at the ends. This is often the simplest and quickest way to get the additional space you need.
- Extending the Height – if you have no area left to add space to your barn, then you can choose to add height instead. These extensions are often more expensive and take longer to complete but do offer to double the space you have available by adding a brand new level.
Why American Metal Buildings is the Best Choice for Your Metal Barn Extension
If you are ready to invest in an extension for your metal barn, then American Metal Buildings has the range of solutions that you are looking for! We are leading experts in the metal building business, and manufacture and ship all of our buildings from within the United States. We have a range of financing options for you to choose from and an expert team that will be on hand to answer any questions you have as your project progresses. Why not choose us to plan your extension, knowing that our results will be exactly what you are looking for? Connect with our team at +1 (877) 277-3060 and get started today – you won’t regret it!