We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again-not all metal buildings are created equally. Some metal buildings, like the galvanized steel metal buildings from American Metal Buildings are some of the most requested products in the United States. Why? Because it’s strong, it’s durable, and it’s incredibly easy to maintain.
The United States produced about 4.4 million tons of galvanized steel in 2016-that number has only increased since.
So, why exactly is galvanized steel so popular? And further, why do we believe that metal buildings that use galvanized steel are crucial for certain buildings, projects, companies, and more? We’re diving deep into those questions-and more!-in this post. Consider American Metal Buildings – your galvanized steel metal building construction experts to be your guiding light on your journey to finding the perfect metal building for your company, business, project, and more!
What is Galvanization?
So, we’re tossing around the word galvanization an awful lot here. You might be reading this and wondering, ‘sure, this all sounds good-but what the heck is galvanization, anyway?’
We’ve got you covered.
Galvanization (or the galvanizing process) is the method of applying a protective, sturdy coating of zinc to iron or steel (or other similar substances) in order to prevent rust. Though there are different ways to galvanize iron, steel, or metal, the most common way to do it is to hot-dip galvanization, which means the soon-to-be-galvanized parts will be submerged into a molten bath of hot zinc!
Metal Buildings and Galvanized Steel
Galvanized steel touts numerous, measurable benefits when it’s used as a crucial ingredient in metal buildings. Not only does it protect the building’s unique structural components from corrosion due to moisture, the elements, and other environmental factors, but it also is an affordable, low-maintenance option that’s suitable and durable for metal buildings.
What are the other benefits of a galvanized steel metal building? Let’s dive into those!
- It has the lowest first time and lifetime costs-Galvanized steel can be much more cost-effective than other coatings for steel. In metal building construction, a huge part of the conversation is usually first-time costs, and typically a big investment of the project can be the startup cost. But with galvanized steel, you benefit from both low first-and-lifetime costs. How? Because buying the galvanized steel products will be cheaper than any other protective coating options-including buying un-finished steel. If you go that route, you’ll be stuck with the costs of labor (which adds up) and the outcome won’t be nearly as good!
- It’s highly sustainable-Steel productions use a bunch of pre-and-post consumer recycled products. It’s also ready to be recycled when you’ve finished with your building’s purpose (an added bonus!). Zinc, which is part of the hot galvanization process, can be used over and over, whereas other coatings are not as recyclable.
- It’s easy to maintain-The materials that are galvanized can reach with other metals, acids, chemicals, and salts in the environment, meaning, cleaning them once a year is ideal for their own longevity. That being said, the actual maintenance is minimal. All you need is alkaline water and wipe them with a soft cloth.
- It has a super long lifespan-Galvanized steel can last more than 50 years in rural areas and often surpasses even the 25-year mark in highly trafficked, urban, industrialized, or even coastal areas, too.
- Galvanized coatings make the inspection a breeze-Because galvanized steel is so low-maintenance, the benefits of this are reaped during inspections. If a galvanized steel building looks and feels sound, that simply means it is-you never have to worry about what lies beneath that steel.
- Galvanized steel parts are erected the minute they arrive on site-The set-up time for a galvanized steel building is nearly immediate. Not only is there no need for any type of preparation, additional treatment, or coating, they’re also a total breeze to set-up on your own! In other words, they’re essentially plug-and-play, ready to go from the moment they’re delivered.
Learn Even More About Galvanized Steel From Our Experts
When it comes to galvanized steel, there’s nothing the experts at American Metal Buildings don’t know-and nothing we wouldn’t want to share with you, either. Galvanized steel is perfect for a metal building construction project for lots of reasons, but mostly, because of its durability, reliability, affordability, and minimal maintenance requirements.
Whether you’re still on the fence about galvanized steel buildings, have questions for the experts, or are ready to purchase a galvanized metal building right now, you’ve come to the right place. Connect with the experts at American Metal Buildings today at +1 (888) 896-0027 for more information about quotes, for answers to your questions, and to match you up with the perfect metal building for you!